What is a Software Project?
A software project is the complete procedure of software development, from gathering requirements to testing, maintenance, and the executed methodologies used in a specific period intended to achieve a software product.
Understanding software product creation experience remains limited. They assert that software is an intangible product, with most products tailored to clients’ unique needs and requirements. Given the rapid pace of technological advancement, what applies to one product may not necessarily apply to another. It is crucial to…
Three constraints underlie software projects: time, cost, and quality. As a vital part of the software organization, you have to deliver a product of excellent quality while keeping the cost within the clients’ budget and delivering the project as scheduled. Keeping all three constraints in mind is essential to ensure project success. This is the reason why software project management is essential. A severe impact is likely if any of the three is compromised.
Accordingly, A software project is under the purview of a software project manager. The manager is well-versed in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) that the software will undergo. While not directly involved in the final product’s production, the project manager exercises control over and is accountable for production activities.
Hence, a project manager is in charge of closely monitoring the development process. They make sure that the plans are prepared and executed correctly. They also ensure that all resources are adequate and necessary. A project manager makes it a point to maintain good communication to address issues regarding budget, cost, quality, time, and customer satisfaction.
A project manager is also responsible for the following:
- People management
- Acting as a project leader
- Stakeholders liaison
- Human resources management
- Reporting hierarchy setup
- Project management
- Project scope definition and setup
- Project management activities management
- Progress and performance monitoring
- Analysis of risk at every phase
- Reduction and problem solving
- Project spokesperson
There are many activities involved in software project management. These include project planning, making decisions about the scope of the software product, cost estimation, scheduling tasks and events, and resource management.
Some other activities included in project management are:
- Project Planning: Before the project starts, you should perform the task of software project planning. Software project planning is done, but it has no direct connection with software production. It is a collection of various processes that will facilitate software production.
- Scope Management: It involves defining the project’s scope. To achieve a deliverable software project, scope management of all activities and processes should be carried out. The main reason for having scope management is to set boundaries in the business. It clearly distinguishes what should and should not be done in the project. To avoid cost and time overruns, scope management should limit tasks in the documentation.
These are some of the necessary steps for project scope management:
- Scope Definition
- Verification and Control Decisions
- Dividing the Project into Smaller Parts for Management Ease
- Scope Verification
- Scope Control by Incorporating Scope Changes
- Project Estimation: Effective and accurate management depends on project estimation. This allows managers to make correct estimates for better management and control of project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Estimation of Effort, Time, and Cost: The manager estimates the effort required for personnel and man-hour requirements for software production. After estimating size and effort, time should be estimated. Tasks can be scheduled on a daily basis or in calendar months. Lastly, the cost should be estimated. This is the most challenging aspect as it depends on several elements.
To conclude, software project management and software project development can be effective if you follow the steps that guide you to success. It’s not as complicated as it sounds. As long as you stick to the plan, you’ll be assured of having a successful project.
Moreover, both software project management and web development are essential to maintaining a successful and thriving business. For more information about software project management and web development, please visit http://bit.ly/AwesomeVirtualAssistant . Furthermore, get professional web development services from a home-based web developer in the Philippines. Obtain quality and freelance services. Contact us now for the most satisfactory web development services for your business.